When you complete this lesson, you will be able describe the basic start-up and shutdown procedures used on single and multi-stage centrifugal pumps. In addition, you will be able to explain the basic inspections that should be completed on operating centrifugal pumps during each shift.
* Identify basic pre-start checks and inspections to complete prior to starting a centrifugal pump.
* Explain the additional checks to make on a large, multi-stage centrifugal pump.
* Describe what is meant by the phrase, “priming a pump”.
* Describe inspections conducted on an operating centrifugal pump.
* Define the term, “air bound pump”, in reference to a centrifugal pump.
* Describe the basic procedure for shutting down a centrifugal pump.